Diabetes is on the rise in Australia – someone is diagnosed every 5 minutes.
Its consequences are significant – up to 35% of Australian suffering diabetic retinopathy (eye disease), 4,400 amputations due to diabetes each year, up to 33,000 heart attacks due to diabetes and the biggest cause of kidney failure.
Whilst treatment involves your GP, a team of clinicians and medications, there are non-medication treatments that help:
- Exercise for 150 minutes per week – lower sugar levels, including up to 3 days afterwards
- Adopting a low GI (Glycaemic Index) diet reduce sugar levels and diabetes complications
- Adopting a Mediterranean (plant-based) diet reduces diabetes and cardiovascular disease risks
- Sleeping a minimum of 6 hours reduces diabetes onset, as well as treating sleep apnoea
- Regular teeth brushing lowers gingivitis and improves sugar control
- Managing underlying depression and stress improves sugar control
If you or anyone in your family is affected by diabetes, talk to one of our Care Managers at Osana for a proactive health plan.
- Diabetes Australia website