We are what we eat, so what should we choose?
Here are some of our favourite healthy foods for 2021:
- Bone broth – promotes gut health (constipation, bloating, intolerances), strong bones and joints, good memory and sleep, and improves immunity
- Fatty fish – enhances memory, lowers dementia and stroke risk (go for salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines and herring)
- Dark chocolate – magnesium helps with mental clarity and weight loss
- Nuts and seeds – contain Vitamin E which reduces cognitive decline. Flax seeds have Vitamin B and antioxidants which helps you with mental focus
- Avocado and whole grains – mono-saturated fats are good for lowering bad cholesterol (LDL) and reducing cardiovascular risks
- Blueberries – boost memory and concentration
- Greens such as kale, beets, watercress and spinach – vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, calcium lowers cancer risk, improves immunity, reduces heart disease and aids vision. Even herbs are healthy!
- Beans – lowers cholesterol and the risk of heart disease
- Spices such as cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg – lowers inflammation.
The world’s largest nutrition research, the NutriNet-Santé study, has for the last 15 years collected dietary assessments on over 170,000 people. A couple of key findings include:
- Avoid ultra-processed foods, which are correlated with cancer, cardiovascular disease, early death, depressive symptoms, type 2 diabetes, obesity, and gastrointestinal disease (just 10% more processed foods leads to a 10% higher risk of all cause cancer)
- Organic food is actually healthy – lower risk of obesity, metabolic syndrome, lymphoma and breast cancer
Here are some recipes you could try:
- Blueberry, lemon baked oats: https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/super-healthy-lemon-blueberry-baked-19758248
- Salmon and spinach bake: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/salmon-recipes/easy-salmon-en-croute/
- Arepas with avo, seeds & black beans: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/seedy-arepas-with-black-beans-and-avocado
- Quinoa and cashew choc clusters: https://wendypolisi.com/crispy-quinoa-cashew-chocolate-clusters/
- Steak, rye & kale salad: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/easy/a28210682/steak-and-rye-panzanella-recipe/
- Bean soup: https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/italian-bean-soup-with-greens/aa43f405-4305-4ae3-9909-af44a54af20c
- Carrot cake smoothie: https://www.wellandgood.com/carrot-cake-smoothie/